Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reality

So the other day I was talking to a good friend of mine on the phone. He was having a particularly challenging day so I was trying to comfort him and hopefully help him have a better day. After listening to him talk for awhile I noticed that there was a common theme in his problem. Not Enough. Not enough money, not enough time, not enough fun, not fair enough, etc. After providing as much support as I knew how I told him that at least he has one thing to be happy about and that is that I love him a lot. Then he said, well its not enough. What an interesting thought! Thats when I started thinking about how I say things like that in my life as well. I've always thought of myself as a fairly optimistic person but the more I think about it I realize that I also tend to think of things as not enough. I don't have enough money, I don't get enough attention, I don't have enough time for all the things that I need to do, I don't have enough hours at work, I don't have enough friends. How limiting is it to put that label on things? Really, all that it is a label that we put on it. There is no rule as to what is enough or not enough it is merely our perception of how it fits our needs. Knowing that, why would I ever label something as "not enough". That doesn't even have to exist in my life. When would it ever serve to me have not enough when I could have just right! How neat would it be if everything was just the perfect amount! It is a fabulous thing to be able to just be grateful with the reality of what is instead of wishing for more or putting unnecessary labels on things.
I love how much I am learning everyday! Not only and I learning the things that are taught by my professors but I am learning simply by observing the world around me. It is so great for me to be able to learn from my challenges and from the challenges that are given to the people around me. I am so lucky to constantly be surrounded by a million things and people to learn from. And of course, there is my new love: Reality.

1 comment:

  1. very interesting, indeed. ridiculous the lies we tell ourselves. high five to you for recognizing your own thought process and trying to correct it. :)

    ReplyDelete